Dear Parents, Carers and Students
Please be assured that The VI Form Academy, in liaison with Camborne Science and International Academy, will comply with Government advice regarding Covid 19. Please be mindful that despite the disruption this year we are still planning on Year 12 students continuing their courses, being supported in planning their next destinations, and successfully completing their qualifications in the summer of 2021.
I would like to congratulate the students on keeping The VI Form a vibrant learning community. We have all been impressed that so many students have taken advantage of the opportunities made available to them since September including PSHE days focusing on learning, health and well-being, careers, and university; International and local trips; enabling Scholarships; Duke of Edinburgh and 10 Tors; revision sessions; sporting fixtures; and Student Leadership events like the Winter Ball and cake sales; and The VI Form Academy Honours programme which rewards independent study. I have also been bowled over by the positive, resilient, and mature manner that the VI Form students have managed the Covid 19 crisis. Hopefully we will have an opportunity, in the future, to celebrate and relax together after a challenging year.
I would like to let you know the current plan.
On the 18 March the Government announced that schools will have a partial closure after Friday 20 March 2020 and on 23 March the Government reinforced the importance of as many people as possible staying in their home. In compliance with this we intend to keep the VI Form open only to the children of key workers. Please check the main website for details: https://www.cambornescience.co.uk/ or contact VIFormEnquiries@cambornescience.co.uk for further information.
• The Government announced that the May/June examinations will not take place however Year 12 students should continue to complete work so as to enable them to continue their courses. Year 12 students will be completing a Milestone assessment in the second week after School recommences which will cover work that they have covered up to this point in the academic year.
• As soon as is practical after the Milestones we are planning to hold Progression Interviews. These interviews will take account of Milestone results and we will consider whether students are able to progress into Year 13, need to restart Year 12, or need to change courses. Parents and carers will be invited to join their son or daughter; and appointments dates and times will be confirmed as soon as is practical.
• Unfortunately, we have taken the decision to cancel the Summer Ball which was scheduled for July. We will be seeking to arrange an alternative when the current crisis is resolved.
• Students who are scheduled to take their Core Maths or GCSE Resit examinations in May / June 2020, which have now been cancelled, will still gain their qualification with a ‘calculated’ grade. Please refer to The VI Form area of the website and our VI Form Facebook page from the 23 March where there is a summary of a Government Coronavirus (COVID-19): cancellation of GCSEs, AS and A levels in 2020. We are currently seeking advice on whether we can use calculated grades for the level 3 vocational qualifications such as the BTECs and will update you as soon as possible.
In order to support students and enable them to work from home over this extended period as a result of Covid 19 we would like to direct you to opportunities for students to complete work from home. There are several opportunities which include:
• continuing to refer to the online facility Class Charts. This is already being used by students and teachers to set homework.
• completing work as identified in subject specific ‘bingo’ work. These were issued earlier in the year and has several tasks for students to complete.
• independently accessing online resources like exam board web pages with past papers and specialist revision sites like https://www.senecalearning.com/
Students are also invited to join Googleclassrooms for each subject where teachers will set work, students will be able to ask for help, and teachers will be able to respond to questions and provide guidance during their normal timetabled lessons. This is organised for all Year groups and instructions are posted on the School’s main webpage and classcodes are also on The VI Form Facebook page. Students should complete Googleclassroom work at the same times as their pre-closure timetabled lessons because teaching staff will be online and available to support them. It would also be helpful if they ‘turn in’ the work they complete at the end of each session to enable feedback.
Clearly we will all need to be flexible and adapt to challenges as they arise, however, we want students to be able to continue their academic journey and hope that this guidance will help support this. Please check the main School website and The VI Form Facebook page for updates.
If you need to speak to the pastoral care team please do not hesitate to contact us on VIFormEnquiries@cambornescience.co.uk or me firstname.lastname@example.org . The VI Form direct telephone number is not being monitored for the duration of the crisis so please call the main switchboard on 01209 712280 if you have an urgent call.
I would like to again reassure you that we will support you as much as is practical to mitigate the impact of this uncertain period. Please do keep in contact with us and each other. I wish you all the best and hope you stay safe.
Head of VI Form